Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Diagnosis

Winter had hit New England with a fury.  At the end of January we had the Blizzard of 2015.  A few days later we had yet another huge storm, then another, then another.  During a brief lull in the action I drove to Holy Family - Methuen for my 'surgery'.

When I arrived at the Breast Cancer Care section of the hospital, I was getting the look like I was at the wrong place.  The receptionist looked at the 'list' and said, "You are at the right place."  Apparently they don't get too many men coming in.

Shortly after a very friendly nurse (Butler) brought me into an examination room where she explained why I was there and that I would be talking to Dr. Moore.  Apparently there was no surgery to be done that day, but there would be some more tests and images taken.  Fine with me since it was after all Friday the 13th and another major storm was due in a few days.  Not having a snow blower means that all the shoveling is done by hand.  So a reprieve from surgery came just in time.

Dr. Moore examined me and asked many questions.  He explained many things about these types of tumors and how sometimes they are benign.  He did say that in any case it should be removed.  Prior to that he needed to find out if it was cancerous and other information that will help determine the best options for treatment.  He wanted to schedule me for a core biopsy where a guided hollow needle harvests samples while watching the whole process via ultra sound.  It would be about a half hour procedure and the area would be numbed with a Novocaine.  The samples would be sent to pathology and results would be ready in three working days.  Sounded simple to me, so I scheduled the procedure for the following week.

On February 20th, I managed to park in the lot reduced by huge mounds of snow.  No major storms predicted so any soreness as a result of the biopsy will have a chance to dissipate in the event that I have to do even more shoveling.

Nurse Butler directed me to the examination room and explained what was to transpire.  Dr. Zerbey was going to perform the procedure.  After I was prepped he came in and explained what he was going to do, how it would be accomplished and how I would be affected.  Everything was understood.

The ultrasound technician set up the equipment and all four of us manged to squeeze into the room.  Given the height and size of me, the doctor had a difficult time 'setting me up' so he could do his bidding.  The nurse was propping rolled towels all around like pontoons trying to stabilize a large sea vessel at a pier.  Of course I felt like I was balancing a a tight rope to get close enough to the ultrasound, the doctor and all the hand held equipment he had to use.  Finally everything was ready.

Novocaine was first.  O M G - did that hurt.  That was the toughest part. After a few minutes it was completely numb.  The needed to make a small incision for the needle.  Didn't feel a thing.  He inserted the core and began.  He explained that the harvesting will make a snapping sound.  Fine, no pain.  I was at a perfect spot to watch it all on the display screen.  Fascinating.  So removed when you can't feel a thing.  I was told that a titanium marker was going to be inserted in the area in the event a revisit was needed, it could be found. Everything went well.  I was cleaned up and asked to have another mammogram.  No problem.  No pain.  The technician showed me a picture of the marker.  It was a small breast cancer awareness ribbon.  Interesting.  I got dressed and left with the paperwork and instructions to call Dr Moore on Wednesday.

Wednesday comes.  The results came back as cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment