Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My Little Sister

My little sister, Leslie has the family moniker of 'blabber fingers'.  She's the back room operations of the family and has coordinated many 'sib' (sibling) get-togethers.  Les got the blabber fingers name as a result of her blabbing some family news to the rest of the sibs (siblings and significant others).  Of course this name of endearment garnered her place as the Rhonna Barrett of the family - in a very nice way ;-) We all thank Leslie for keeping us all informed.

Once I heard about my diagnosis, I really didn't care who knew.  Not that I was looking for sympathy, but didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable and there could be chance that someone knows someone who knows someone that has kicked this using alternative treatment...or whatever.  Needless to say, I could remember who I told and how much.  I do know that I blasted out a short announcement to most - I've been diagnosed with cancer.  I'll keep you posted.  Kind of cruel as I think of it after the fact especially if I never followed up.  This is the primary reason for my starting this blog.  If I keep it updated, those that care to know more will have the latest.Anyway, I digress.

Because I failed to properly get back to many people, many resorted to reaching out to one another.  Well I spoke with my two brothers, my older sister, but didn't get back to Leslie or Chris (my younger brother).  Well the grapevine, thankfully was very strong cause many knew more than what I provided.  Leslie did call me a number of times, but she retires early and screens her calls.  As a result we never connected with a conversation.  Leslie was kind enough to send me a few emails and graciously offered to accompany me to Dana Farber.  I took her up on the offer.  She would be good company.  I'd get her up to speed and she could take notes and/or hear things I failed to (under the circumstances).  She took the day off from work.  I offered to drive to Boston (since it's a daily chore for me) to which she was happy.  So at 5:30 AM under the cloak of darkness we trekked into Boston and made it there in about an hour and a half.  Not bad at all for a Boston commute on a work day.  The weather turned out wonderful. The GPS got us there.  There was reduced validated parking and we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment