Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Holy Family - Consultation # 3

What a difference a day makes.  Today started out very foggy, but ended up being warm (60 degrees) and sunny.  Lots of melting.  Uplifting!

Had an appointment with Dr. Mehta the Oncologist referred by Dr. Moore. Operationally, Dana Farber has it all over Holy Family.  When I checked in they couldn't find my name.  Found that odd. 

[Later found that I had a message left at 9:45 AM on my house voice mail indicating that Dr. Mehta had an emergency and they wanted to reschedule.  My appointment was 9:30.  I was there at 8:50.  Why call me at home after my appointment start time?]

I waited quite a long time before being called to register.  The registration process was typical and didn't take too long.  I was told to sit and I would be called.  It took almost a half hour before I was called to the examination room.  Jasmine took my vitals and had me wait for the doctor. Finally at 11, Dr. Mehta arrived.  He did apologize for his being late, but it didn't come across as being genuine.

When we finally got to business, I was hearing many of the same things I heard at Dana Farber: two options - lumpectomy or mastectomy.  The sentinel node was also explained, but things began to differ after this.


The lumpectomy 'could' spare the nipple and 'after time' the surgery will look like a small scar with depression.  However, the surgery would be done by Dr. Moore and I would need to talk to him about his being able to 'spare' the nipple.  Also, Dr. Mehta did say that 6 weeks of radiation and 5 - 10 years of Tamoxifen accompanied this option.  When I asked about the side effects of radiation, he said that white cell count goes down making one tired, explained the sunburn-like skin and the need to come five days a week for radiation treatments.  When I asked about the risk of radiation damaging my heart or causing aortic cancer.  He said they were able to deflect the radiation form major organs.  He said that he wanted me to talk to the radiologist.

The mastectomy option was the same as what I heard.  This too required  an extended need for Tamoxifen.

Dr. Mehta was pleased to hear that the BRAC tests came back negative.  He did say the he was going to order a different kind of genetic testing (he didn't say panel test as Dr Overmoyer discussed but it sounded the same).  In addition, he wants a CT scan and a Bone scan.  Apparently the CT scan on the upper torso can identify any cancerous activity/areas.  The bone scan can detect types of bone cancer.  Between the genetic testing, CT scan and Bone scan, he can have a better idea on how to treat any and all cancer and/or risks.So I now have three appointments scheduled with a follow-up with Dr. Mehta on 3/31.

Knowledge IS a dangerous thing.  I'm learning the more I know, the more I don't know.  I can't find fault with wanting more tests.  There's some solace in knowing this could be the only cancer, but knowing if there are other types or places where cancer might be planning an attack - (to me) is a good strategy.

Yesterday I was leaning toward one type of treatment, but I now need to know more.  I'm glad it's stage one and slow growing.  I do have time, but the suspense is crushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment